Dunwoody Country Club
1600 Dunwoody Club Dr
Dunwoody, GA 30350
Follow Dunwoody Country Club
Golf Course Information
Dunwoody Country Club received its charter from the State of Georgia on March 21, 1969. Formerly Ansley Golf Club, the 200+ acre tract of land on which our Club sits was purchased from Mr. G. Thomas Bailey. Plans for the Golf Course were completed in November of 1965, construction was completed by Dalon Contracting Company and the course was open for limited play in the fall of 1966 for a total cost of $425,319. A small Clubhouse known as The White House was built and included a pro shop, lockers and a dining area.
In 1969 the Ansley Membership voted by a narrow margin to sell the Country Club. An organizational meeting was held at The White House a few weeks later. Ninety two Charter Members agreed to fund a new corporation and form the Dunwoody Country Club. A committee was formed to meet with officials of the bank which held the mortgage on Ansley Country Club. The bank agreed to the change and Ansley transferred the entire operation to the new Dunwoody Country Club Corporation. Clubhouse Construction began in 1969 and the new Clubhouse opened Labor Day of 1970 including swimming pool, bath house and four tennis courts.
Growth of the entire Membership and their desires for more Clubhouse amenities brought about the development of the first Clubhouse addition in 1985 for a construction cost of approximately $2,000,000 for additional dining and bar areas. The grand opening was held in November 1986. Completed in 1992, renovations and expansion of the Clubhouse included a workout facility, now our Wellness Center, locker rooms and Mixed Grill. The Tennis Pavilion was constructed with the addition of six clay courts.
In 1999, with a two-year construction time, construction began on additional private dining rooms, extending the ballroom, moving and expanding the Grill and Grill kitchen to terrace level with a separate bar area, expanding the Wellness Center and locker rooms; as well as updating the existing Clubhouses electrical, heating and plumbing. This expansion gave us the beautiful facilities we enjoy today.
A well known golf course architect by the name of Mr. Willard C. Byrd was commissioned to design the course. Mr. Byrd began discussions on June 20, 1965. Design plans were completed in November of 1965. A contract was signed with Dalon Contracting Company to build the course for the price of $304,500 in January 1966. Construction of the course involved the grading of over 550,000 cubic yards of earth and shale rock. The irrigation system was installed for $70,000 and grass planting began in July for a cost of $28,000. Total cost, which included Mr. Byrds fee, was $425,319. The golf course was opened for limited play in late fall of 1966. With the golf course maturing slowly, Members conducted rock and weeding parties to remove rocks from the fairways and rough and weeds from the greens thus assisting the grounds crew personnel who were operating out of necessity on a very limited budget. The Rules of Play were to move the ball out of the rough if required.
The Grounds Maintenance building was originally constructed in 1979. The golf course was improved with the installation of the automatic irrigation system in 1982. The driving range was enlarged in 1984 and again in 2001 along with installation of a new irrigation system. The greens and fairways were restructured in 1996. The putting green, practice facility and an indoor practice/teaching facility were updated with the Master Plan Project in 2003.
Swim & Tennis
In late 1972, additional tennis courts were built. Tennis courts 1-4 were lighted for night play and courts 12 and 13 were built, topped by the bubble for indoor year-round play. The bubble was removed in 1982, due to lack of usage and operating difficulties. The Tennis Center currently has 10 hard courts and 4 clay courts for year round play. Swim and tennis facilities proved inadequate for Members needs, so in June 1981 a new building was completed at a cost of $186,000, which contained a pro shop, pool grill, locker rooms, etc. Tennis expanded again in 1991 with a new Tennis Pavilion build adjacent to courts one through four. The 2001 Master Plan included expansion and renovation of Tennis Pavilion and expansion and renovation of Pool Clubhouse Facility. Pool deck was expanded again in 2007.
Membership in Dunwoody Country Club is by invitation. Two Sponsor Members of the Club, one of whom is considered the primary Sponsor, must support an invitation for membership of a Nominee.
Dunwoody has grown from a short lived idea of a golf course out in the suburbs to one of the most prestigious country clubs in the South. It is a vibrant, social, family-oriented Country Club with a full range of services and facilities. This would not have been possible without the dedication of the original charter Members, all of the Boards of Governors, Board Committees and volunteers that have overseen the governing of one of Atlantas finest Country Clubs.
Green Fees and Rates
Please call 770-394-1928 for current rates.
Green Fees and RatesCall 770-394-1928 for rates and tee times.
Tee Times & Reservations
ReservationsCall 770-394-1928 For Reservation Policy
Golf Course Amenities
Pro On Site:
Homes On Course:
200, 150, 100 Yrd Markers and Sprinkler Heads Marked
Contact Dunwoody Country Club at 770-394-1928 for more information and details on holding a golf outing at the course.
Contact Dunwoody Country Club at 770-394-1928.
Restaurant and Dining Options:Contact Dunwoody Country Club at 770-394-1928 for onsite or nearby dining options.
This profile was last updated on 10/20/2014 and has been viewed 3,807 times.